Thursday, August 9, 2012

Compassion


 Lazy, summer days enhance one’s cravings to lull in the shade of a tree, sipping on a cold beverage as the mind wanders off in search of meaning for life.  During this reverie words float by that are descriptive of such meaning.  Many words offer reflective moments for consideration to ponder upon but not one compelling enough to dwell on.  Then through the fog from the corners of my mind comes a word that grabs my attention, lifting me out of my trance to conscientiously muse over.  Compassion!  That’s it!  Compassion does give meaning to life.

Now comes the task of defining the word and determine how it gives us purpose.  At the moment I choose not to provide a definition as its meaning is different for each individual.  The more I ponder the more questions I have about it.  The Scriptures are filled with many passages speaking about compassion which leaves a strong indication, if not an outright requirement, to have compassion.  Here are a couple worthy of consideration:

“But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?”  I John 3:17 (KJV)

“..And of some have compassion, making a difference…”  Jude 22 (KJV)

Here we see that if we withhold compassion from those in need we do not have the love of God within us.  It also becomes apparent that having compassion makes a positive difference.  Does this not provide meaning to life?  

The more I think on this the more I realize a book can be written about it.  Rather than me giving a lengthy dissertation of my musings on this I would like to toss it to you to provide your thoughts on the matter.  Here are some things for you to muse over and then offer your findings for others to ponder upon.  What does compassion mean to you?  When are we to show compassion?  How is compassion demonstrated?  Should compassion ever be withheld?  Can we be compassionate to those we don’t like or love?  All right, this gives you something to start with.   Now, get ready, get set and GO – it’s your turn to muse.  Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment